As sure as the Arctic Tern’s annual flight from Antarctica to the
- International Polar Year / Students on Ice Arctic Expedition August 2 – 17, 2008
- We are dedicating the expedition to our great and recently departed friend Dr. Fritz Koerner!
- Our expedition is endorsed by IPY Canada and IPY International and represents one of the largest IPY education events in the world.
- 20 northern Canadian students from the
- Canadian students from 10 provinces and territories
- 65 Students in total from 10 different countries, including Afghanistan, Norway, United States, Austria, United Kingdom, Monaco, Australia, Mexico and Canada.
- 70% of the participating students have been fully sponsored thanks to the generous support of many people and organizations all listed at http://www.studentsonice.com/arctic2008/html/partners.html
- Twenty international polar scientists, educators, artists and northern leaders, including the Hon. Ann Hanson, Commissioner of Nunavut, will lead lectures, workshops and hands-on activities.
- Topics studied during the expedition will include marine biology, earth sciences, history, sustainable development, culture, Arctic sovereignty, and environmental issues.
- Students will participate in numerous ‘hands-on’ activities – including an exciting ocean current experiment with the
- Everyday students will be involved in something new – visits to Inuit communities, participation in community feasts and meetings with elders and Inuit youth, zodiac cruises through pack ice and along huge bird cliffs, spotting for whales, polar bears and seals, visits to ancient Inuit historic sites, searching for evidence of climate change in the Arctic, etc.
- The main expedition goals are to inspire these future leaders, create polar ambassadors and environmental stewards, connect the youth to the Natural World, and make issues like Climate Change real and personal.
Hope you are having a wonderful summer! We will say hi to the Polar Bears for you…
In the expedition spirit,
Executive Director | Directeur Éxecutif
Students on Ice Expeditions | Expéditions Students on Ice
1740 chemin Pink
Toll free | Sans frais: 866-336-6423
Tel.: 819-827-3300 | Fax: 819-827-9951