International Polar Year, or IPY (2007-2009) is by far the most exciting international scientific and educational opportunity of this century. For the next two years, all eyes will be focused on the physical, social and human dimensions of our planet's polar regions. Watch this blog for news related to Canadian outreach and education efforts related to IPY. Of particular interest to educators! Note: This blog is created independently of any official IPY organization

Friday, May 16, 2008

Education webpages for IPY Land and Life Day June 18

Dear all, Firstly, a quick introduction! My name is Nicola Munro and I work in the International Programme Office (IPO), based in Cambridge with Rhian Salmon and Dave Carlson. My role within IPY has recently changed and I will now be working more closely with this teachers group and the Education Working Group. I will be the main point of contact to the IPO and will be helping with the educational activities that relate to the upcoming Polar Days, the next one being the Land and Life Day on the 18th of June. To this end, I just wanted to let you know that the Education webpages for the Land and Life Day are now ready which you can find at: http://www.ipy.org/index.php?/ipy/detail/land_life_educators You will see that I have now uploaded the activity flyer and summary for this Day and these have been translated into 15 different languages so far so thank you to the volunteers (I know some were from this group) for your help with these. Please do get involved in this day by trying out the activity in your classrooms, launching a virtual balloon and taking part in the various live events we will have taking place throughout the week. You can find more information about these at the above link. If you can recommend any resources you think would be useful for this day, please send them to me ( ipy1@bas.ac.uk ) so that I can add them to the links and resource page. At the moment this is looking a little bare so would be great if you could send me some suggestions! If you have any other comments about the Land and Life Education Page, please let me know! Please note, these pages are currently being developed and will go live next week so please send us any feedback. I look forward to working with all of you! Best wishes Nicola Nicola Munro Office Manager and Education Liaison International Programme Office

No comments: